Overview of the Alliance Charter Academy Grades 1-12 Model
Alliance Charter Academy is based on the belief that learning best occurs when teaching is focused on the following:
- Delivery of instruction tailored to each individual student’s needs and multiple intelligence learning styles.
- One-on-one time with a credentialed teacher.
- Real-life, context-based learning.
- Enrichment through field trips, apprenticeships, cooperative classes, technology, etc.
- Schooling is broadly viewed to include both academic instruction and life experiences.
- Students are intrinsically motivated.
- The process of providing interesting, worthwhile learning opportunities will stimulate individual interests.
Alliance Charter Academy individualizes the educational program for each child. Every student is assessed at enrollment for academic levels in math and reading. Parents and students work with teachers and consultants to develop a Personalized Learning Plan for each child to address individual learning needs, styles, and preferences, with the goal of working toward mastery of the Oregon State Content Standards. Teachers are trained in recognizing and teaching to a variety of learning styles to help facilitate learning and guide instruction.
Our foundational belief is that it is critical for educational approaches to create freedom of choice within a given structure. In addition, there are multiple choices regarding the types of curriculum materials to use, kinds of processes required, and end products accepted. A cornerstone of the educational approach is the concept of “a classroom without walls” – the world as classroom. Personalized educational options include: traditional classroom instruction, independent study, credit for proficiency, small group instruction, home school, community-partnership-based learning, service learning, tutoring, multimedia, internships, online classes, apprenticeships, and college courses.